Eyeliner is easily one of the hardest parts of your makeup routine. There are so many things that can go wrong and it can be a pain to fix it without having to start all over again. Try these eleven eyeliner hacks today and become an eyeliner pro!
1. Love a good winged eyeliner but can never get them straight? We've been there. One of the best tips used industry wide is the sticky tape trick. Try lining up a bit of sticky tape across your eyes where you want your wing to be, and then apply your liquid or gel liner. (You can even use this method for eyeshadow!) This will help keep your line thin, crisp and under control.
2. If you still struggle with liquid or gel liner, you can actually draw an outline for how you want your wing to look with your regular pencil liner. It will give you much more control over the shape, and any mistakes will be much easier to fix.
3. Finding black to be a little too dramatic for your everyday look? Try experimenting with other shades for something different. Varying shades of brown and grey can look effortlessly chic and not too overdone.
4. Crisp lines can be difficult to work with and aren't everyone's cup of tea. If you're finding a harsh line is either too dramatic or too difficult for your look, smudge it out. A smudged eyeliner look will look fabulous and goes with just about anything.
5. Your eyes are said to be the windows of the face, so you want those babies to pop. Instead of applying black liner to your waterline, opt for a natural light approach such as white or taupe. This will give the illusion of larger, brighter eyes and will make you look more awake. Black liner tends to make your eyes look smaller.
6. Tape isn't the only thing you can use to line up your eyes. Try using other everyday objects to help line up your wing. Believe it or not, but a spoon is the perfect tool for this. Using the straight edge, trace to create that perfect line. Then, using the round part, trace the rounded part across your eyelid for the flick.
7. Pencil eyeliners can be the easiest to work with, but sometimes get crumbly over time. If you've sharpened your pencil a few too many times and your favourite eyeliner isn't as sharp and crisp as you'd like to be, try popping it in the freezer for a few minutes. After about ten minutes, take it out and sharpen it. This should get you a nice, sharp point with no crumble.
8. Mistakes happen. Especially when eyeliner is involved. Eyeliner can be one of the hardest things to fix when it comes to your makeup, as the last thing you want to do is create a dark mess all over your eyelids. Take a cotton tip and apply it with a small amount of makeup remover. Dab lightly over the mistake until it has been removed. Alternatively, you can also use vaseline on a cotton tip.
9. Love your wings but they don't last all day? The best way to ensure your eyeliner will last all day is to set it with a complimenting eyeshadow. If you've used black eyeliner, apply a matte black eyeshadow over the wing. Nobody will know any different and it will help keep your eyeliner looking great all day.
10. Use dots to track your flick. Instead of just drawing a line and hoping for the best, dot along where you would like your line to be so you can follow it when drawing and stop halfway if you need to. This will help give you more control and build up your confidence in drawing the perfect flick.
11. For the ultimate natural look, try tightlining. Tighlining is applying your liner between your lashes, or underneath them, for a fuller liner look. It will almost look as though you aren't wearing liner, but that your lashes look full and thick. This can be a difficult thing to master, but once you get the hang of it, you will want to wear this look constantly!
Do you have any makeup tips to share? We would love to hear form you!